HSE Prosecutes Oldest Cinema in Wales for Exposing Public to Asbestos
11 Apr 2017
The Trust that runs a 123 year old South Wales cinema has been told by the Health and Safety Executive that it “potentially exposed volunteers, employees and members of the public to asbestos”.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was critical of how The Market Hall Cinema and Arts Trust handled asbestos in the building saying there had been “several significant contraventions of the law”.
The criticisms are set out in a notice published in February following an investigation included details of how asbestos had been stored in black bin bags inside the building and that volunteers, employees and members of the public had “potentially” been put at risk of exposure to asbestos since the Trust took over in June 2013.
If the criticisms are correct this is very serious. The dangers of asbestos dust are very well known and it is unacceptable that volunteers, members of the public and employees have been exposed to the risk of serious asbestos related illnesses including the asbestos cancer mesothelioma.
The Trust, however, disputes some of the findings.
The Cinema is now at risk of being closed down permanently.
Paul Glanville from The Asbestos Law Partnership commented:
“ This very sad case highlights the critical importance of the asbestos awareness that is needed if we are to minimise the risk of future generations developing serious asbestos related conditions including the asbestos cancer mesothelioma.”