Former F L Sanderson's employee receives compensation for Mesothelioma.
18 Oct 2018
Our client, Bernard Wilson was exposed to asbestos whilst working for a firm called F L Sanderson from Bradford in the 1940’s and 1950’s. He was taken on as an apprentice plumber and worked in different mills and houses throughout the Bradford area. In 2017 he developed mesothelioma from his exposure 60 and 70 years before.
He worked on sectional boilers and other smaller boilers both removing and installing them. The old sectional boilers and pipework were lagged with asbestos and before the boiler could be removed the asbestos lagging had to be taken off the boiler and the pipework. Bernard did this using a hammer, knocking the lagging off the boiler and on to the floor below. As he knocked the lagging off it create huge amounts of dust which he could see in the air. When he got to the end of the day he had to clear away the lagging and sweep the floor before he could go home.
Once he had removed the lagging he then had to take the boiler out, smashing it up with a sledge harmer to make it easier to move before installing the new boiler in its place.
The new boilers then had to be lagged with asbestos for heat insulation. It was common at the time Bernard worked for F L Sanderson for asbestos to be used for insulation on boilers and pipes. Often on larger sectional boilers other contractors were brought in to lag the boiler but on smaller jobs and with smaller boilers Bernard had to lag the boilers too. boiler was lagged using an asbestos paste. Bags of asbestos fibres were emptied into a dustbin and water was then added to the asbestos to create the paste. As the bags were emptied and mixed dust would be flying all over. lagging once mixed was then applied to the boiler in 2 coats with chicken wire to hold it in place.
F L Sanderson’s didn’t provide any masks or overalls. Bernard provided his own boiler suit which he took home for his grandmother to wash further exposing both him and her to asbestos dust.
Bernard was well until late 2017 and despite being in his mid 80’s he was still enjoying holidays abroad and was able to manage at home. He then developed a cough and was initially prescribe antibiotics but when his symptoms persisted, he had to go into hospital for tests. Fluid was drained from his lungs and tested revealing the diagnosis of mesothelioma which came as a complete shock to him and his family.
Once instructed, Bernard was seen at home within days of contacting us and a statement taken about his work. Despite his employment being so long ago, we were able to trace the insurers of F L Sandersons and to pursue his claim.
Bernard’s case settled within 6 months of him first instructing us for a six figure sum.
Helen Wilson who acted for Bernard said “I am pleased we were able to resolve Bernard’s case so quickly and that he will be able to use the compensation for anything he may need in the future.”
Bernard said “It is pure coincidence that the surnames are the same, in no way are we related. The Asbestos Law Partnership was chosen at random and may I add a very good choice it was. My claim was carried out speedily and efficiently by all concerned. Again many thanks to Helen and her staff for being so kind and helpful at this stressful time.”